Why?

Knocked Me For Six
Knocked Me For Six

So I took my senior students to a science road show in town the other day, which was being hosted by my old high school.  I attended this school from Form One to Form Seven (Year 9 – 13) with one year spent away at boarding school in Form 3.  I wasn’t the most high functioning teenager around, well actually I was a little s#!t who was very bord, overly distracted by boyfriends and had a bit too much to say.  However, I am pretty sure that I wasn’t that bad …

So, I was a wee bit excited about showing my students my old school (I know it is silly, but ho hum).  We went into the hall where the road show was set up, and standing by the door was my old Form Two (Year 10) teacher.  Who was by the way one of my favourite teachers, he’s a really nice guy and still is.

I went up to him and said, hi it’s Marama Te Pou, do you remember me?  He said, yes of course he did, and he asked about my brother (whom he taught as well), my parents, what I was doing, etc etc.  He was really nice, and I really enjoyed talking to him.  Then just before I left, he chuckled and said “You know, you are the last person I thought I would see back here.”

Well, that kind of knocked me for six, I really didn’t know what to say and then all of a sudden the kids were back and we had to go.  I never got to ask him what he meant?  Actually, I am not sure that I would have the guts to ask him what he meant.  I don’t think he meant anything bad by it, but it really made me ask a lot of questions of myself.  I mean I am a Principal of a Primary School.  What was or is it about me that made me not fit into a school?

If I am really honest with myself, I have to admit that I really didn’t enjoy high school.  But it still disturbs me that I have left this negative impression?  I don’t know really, I just thought I would share.

Plus I am trying to start a blogging habit … Mum tells me it takes three months to establish a habit.  We will see.

Published by

marama28

A New Zealand Principal, living in Taneatua. Where's that you say? Just Google IT!

2 thoughts on “Why?”

1. I can’t say that I enjoyed high school either- although I did do OK with the school work side of things. I don’t know that I knew what I was doing- I was just ticking the boxes and doing what I was told.

I think high school is a thing to be endured.

2. Isn’t that sad that high school can be such a apathetic or even negative experience. Not quite what one would envisage when teaching ‘endurance’?